Discover: Wickham Market
Wickham Market is 20 minutes from the wonderful seaside location of Aldeburgh. and the lovely little coastal village of Orford, both of which are stuffed with great places to wine & dine.
Things to do…
Aldeburgh (20 minutes away) – A lovely seaside town with good shops
- Aldeburgh Cinema 01728 4529
- There is an old sailor’s walk from Aldeburgh to Snape Maltings. Please see tourist map
- The High Street offers lovely opportunities for shopping. Clothes boutiques, antiques and arts and delightful places to eat.
- Delicious fish and chips chips
- Stunning pebble beach
Woodbridge (10 minutes away) – A small town with lots of shops
- Woodbridge Cinema 01394 382174 does a lovely film and lunch/dinner for a set price for approximately £14.00, good value and great fun.
- Woodbridge Theatre Box Office 01394 382174
- Has some lovely walks and routes to explore
Framlingham (12 minutes away) – A small town with nice cafes and a gorgeous Castle
- An interesting castle with amazing grounds to visit, only £4.50 an adult, £2.30 a child and £11.00 for a family ticket which offers great value.
- Farmers market every Saturday morning
- The Dancing Goat does very good coffee and cakes.
One of our favourite gastro pubs is The Turks Head which is a 12 minute drive away in Hasketon, please see their website for details.
The much loved, originally 16th-century, village pub opposite The Wren, which burnt down a few years ago, now has the go ahead to be taken over by the village itself and restored to its former glory. Robin, co-host at Wren Cottage, is on the project committee. For the latest developments please visit this website which is dedicated to this community project: The George www.wmgeorge.co.uk
In Wickham Market there is also the Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa. Enclosed within 120 acres of historic Suffolk parkland, the available facilities at the hotel are open to non-members. Visit the multi storey driving range, an 18 hole golf course and the health club & thermal suite spa.
Minsmere Nature Reserve is about 30 minutes up the A12 towards Southwold. There are some wonderful birds to see and also Konik Polski ponies which keep the grass in good condition for the birds. You can also do 4×4 safaris but booking is essential. 01728 648281.
The Lady Florence does brunch, lunch and dnner cruises on the river from Orford 07831 698298
If you like riding, the Valley Farm is just outside the village. Go along Border Cot Lane, take the 2nd left and then the 1st left and it is in front of you. They do a variety of horse related things including western riding, carriage driving and normal riding lessons/hacks.
Beacon Rally Karts near Martlesham about 15 minutes away is great for all ages. Visit www.beaconrallykarts.co.uk or call 01394 610066
Easton Farm Park is fun for young children and does all sorts of farm animals including shire horses.
You can go rowing at Dedham and row along the River Stour where Constable painted.
Snape Maltings has wonderful boutiques, galleries and garden centre
There is pay and play golf at Secford Hall and Ufford Park Hotel
Sutton Hoo a famous Saxon burial ground is very close to Woodbridge. There are lovely walks not to mention the interesting burial ground and also the house of the owner who unearther the boat burials.